Friday 13 December 2013

Christmas blues come early ... Wednesday 11th – Friday 13th Dec

It’s quite possible now to order a complete Christmas online, presents and food, from the comfort of your own home without ever putting on a coat and braving the cold and the crowds. To be honest we do a lot that way, but I do worry that its killing the romance of Christmas. The touchy-feely pleasure, of finding and buying a present for someone. Handing over cash, and returning home laden down with shopping bags, a warm feeling flowing through you. Whilst I have had some of that this year, the majority of my experience has been the doorbell ringing and another Amazon parcel being delivered. Mrs P and I do though still have the big Christmas food shop to look forward to – I say look forward to, when I really mean dread – pushing a fully laden supermarket trolley, through crowds of shoppers, while trying to avoid getting your ankles rammed by a pensioner who has just come in for a pint of milk. You see, I really am full of the joys of Christmas already.

I wonder if Friday 13th is regarded as an unlucky day in all countries. I know there are historical precedents of bad things happening on this date, and 13 is regarded as an unlucky number by some. In fact many of my local roads don’t have a house numbered 13. But I think I’ve found a new reason for it to be regarded as unlucky. Today I tried left-handed dusting and vacuuming. A new experience necessitated by my broken collarbone, and whilst it was slow, it did work. So it is that I may be in a position to resume some of my house-husbandry duties. Whilst only light duties still, my improving injury means that for me every silver lining has a cloud.  

Yours taking it easy.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment